UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Sports News

Miami PD says cop broke policy with James' wrong-way escort

  |
 
NBA player LeBron James and fiancee Savannah Brinson attend the 2013 ESPY Awards at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles on July 17, 2013. UPI/Jim Ruymen
NBA player LeBron James and fiancee Savannah Brinson attend the 2013 ESPY Awards at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles on July 17, 2013. UPI/Jim Ruymen 
License photo
Published: Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

MIAMI, Aug. 20 (UPI) -- Miami-Dade police officials say an officer is in hot water after helping Miami Heat star LeBron James get to a concert by opening a path in heavy traffic.

James posted an Instagram video showing a police officer escorting his vehicle through oncoming traffic from one intersection to another near Sun Life Stadium, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reported Monday.

The basketball superstar and his fiancee had been caught up in heavy traffic as they headed to a Justin Timberlake and Jay Z concert Friday, The Miami Herald reported.

The police department released a statement that said in part, "This was not a scheduled escort, and although all safety precautions were taken, the department has identified these actions as a violation of department policies."

"They treat us so well!" James said in a message accompanying the video. "Needed it cause traffic was nuts!! Light police escort on the wrong side of the street. Headed to the big homie concert, JT. Holla."

Topics: LeBron James, Justin Timberlake
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Sports News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Always bring a ping pong paddle along with you if you're going to a pineapple knife fight
The most dangerous states in America. Always knew there was something shady about Delaware
Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it department: Criminals still return to the...
Healthcare.gov works great if you take away all those damn people wanting to sign up for it, says...
"Making tea is not like some fast fling in the back of a car. That's what coffee is for. Tea is...
Coffee is better than sex? On what grounds?