facebook
twitter
search
search

Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli retires from tennis

Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM
2 of 4
| License Photo

CINCINNATI, Aug. 15 (UPI) -- Marion Bartoli, the surprise ladies champion at last month's Wimbledon championships, announced her retirement from tennis Wednesday.

Bartoli, 28, lost to Simona Halep in the second round of the Western & Southern Open Wednesday and then said at her post-match news conference she was quitting the game.

"My body just can't do it anymore," she said. "I've been through a lot of injuries since the start of the year and I left it all at Wimbledon.

"I really felt I gave all the energy I have left in my body there. I made a dream a reality and it will stay with me forever."

Bartoli, born in France and now a resident of Switzerland, retires as the seventh-ranked player in the world.

She marched through her seven Wimbledon victories this year without losing a set, although the highest-ranked player she had to face in the upset-filled tournament was No. 17 Sloane Stephens.

Bartoli defeated Stephens in the quarterfinals, then downed No. 20 Kirsten Flipkens in the semifinals. She was a 6-1, 6-4 winner in the championship match over No. 23 Sabine Lisicki, who had eliminated world No. 1 Serena Williams in the fourth round.

She won eight WTA Tour events in her career and finishes with a 490-299 match record.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
FSU dismisses QB after video shows him hitting woman
Tennessee Titans QB Mariota remains unsigned
Chicago Blackhawks trade G Nilsson to Edmonton Oilers for F Coughlin
WBO strips Mayweather of welterweight title
Keuchel, Tucker lead Houston Astros past Cleveland Indians