facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Vikings' Peterson: Went into shock last year while eating shrimp

June 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
MINNEAPOLIS, June 24 (UPI) -- Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson says he received a serious health scare last year when he went into shock after eating shrimp gumbo.

Peterson told USA Today Monday his 2012 season -- which featured 2,097 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns while leading the Vikings to the playoffs -- almost was derailed before it started when he went into anaphylactic shock due to a previously unknown allergy to shrimp.

The incident happened during training camp last year at the team's Mankato, Minn., facility.

"I thought I was Superman until I experienced that life-changing anaphylactic shock," he said. "I was eating lunch and gobbled down a couple of bowls of gumbo.

"Then, 15 minutes later, I'm in my dorm room resting up. My eyes started itching and my throat was swelling up.

"I could barely breathe."

Peterson said even as his throat was swelling shut he was able to call Vikings trainer Eric Sugerman, who used an EpiPen epinephrine auto injector to allow him to breathe as he was rushed to a local hospital.

Since then, he has partnered with Mylan Specialty LP -- maker of the EpiPen -- to act as a spokesman for an anaphylaxis preparedness campaign, the newspaper reported.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Jameis Winston suspended for entire game against Clemson Jameis Winston suspended for entire game against Clemson
2
UPI Sports Schedule for Saturday, September 20
3
UPI Sports Results for September 19, 2014 UPI Sports Results for September 19, 2014
4
National League Game Summary - Washington at Miami
5
2013-14 college football bowl results 2013-14 college football bowl results
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback