facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Backpacks banned at Miami Heat victory parade

June 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM   |   Comments

MIAMI, June 22 (UPI) -- Backpacks will not be allowed at the Miami Heat championship parade on Monday, city officials said.

The Heat will celebrate its second consecutive NBA championship -- its third overall -- with a parade beginning at 11 a.m. EDT Monday in downtown Miami and ending at the AmericanAirlines Arena with a victory rally for season-ticket holders only, The Miami Herald reported.

This year, however, backpacks will not be permitted along the parade route, city officials said.

When the Heat won the championship last year, tens of thousands of people lined the streets of Miami to watch the parade.

Officials said the parade route will close at about 9 a.m., with roads along the route closing at the parade passes.

"They have demonstrated perseverance and an unconquerable will to win," Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado said of the basketball team. "The Miami Heat has made the City of Miami shine in the eyes of the world."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
NFL announces harsher punishments for domestic violence
2
Bayern, City grouped together again in UCL draw
3
Peyton Manning fined for taunt
4
UEFA president Michel Platini will not challenge FIFA head Sepp Blatter
5
Cowboys' Hamilton suspended four games
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback