facebook
twitter
search
search

Backpacks banned at Miami Heat victory parade

June 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM

MIAMI, June 22 (UPI) -- Backpacks will not be allowed at the Miami Heat championship parade on Monday, city officials said.

The Heat will celebrate its second consecutive NBA championship -- its third overall -- with a parade beginning at 11 a.m. EDT Monday in downtown Miami and ending at the AmericanAirlines Arena with a victory rally for season-ticket holders only, The Miami Herald reported.

This year, however, backpacks will not be permitted along the parade route, city officials said.

When the Heat won the championship last year, tens of thousands of people lined the streets of Miami to watch the parade.

Officials said the parade route will close at about 9 a.m., with roads along the route closing at the parade passes.

"They have demonstrated perseverance and an unconquerable will to win," Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado said of the basketball team. "The Miami Heat has made the City of Miami shine in the eyes of the world."

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Miami Heat
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
SB50: Denver Broncos face tough call at QB in 2016
Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend claims he hit her
NFLPA hopes to have independent arbitration for player discipline next season
Watch every star-studded Super Bowl commercial of 2016
Group recreates 'Mario Kart' video game at UK mall