facebook
twitter
search
search

Del Porto withdraws from French Open

May 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM
| License Photo

PARIS, May 22 (UPI) -- Juan Martin del Potro withdrew from the French Open Wednesday, joining Andy Murray as Top 10 players who will miss this year's second major tennis tournament.

Del Potro, seventh in the world rankings, said he is still affected by a virus that has limited his play over the last month.

Advertisement

"I am sad to miss such an important tournament, one that you always dream of winning," del Porto said in the withdrawal announcement.

Murray, No. 2 in the rankings, pulled out of the tournament Tuesday, citing a back injury.

"It's a really tough decision and I love playing in Paris," Murray said, "but after seeking medical advice, I am not fit to compete."

Neither has won the French Open but each claimed the U.S. Open -- del Porto in 2009 and Murray last year -- for their first Grand Slam titles.

Mardy Fish and Brian Baker also said they won't be in the draw in Paris. Fish has a heart ailment and Baker is recovering from right knee surgery.

The French Open, with Rafael Nadal seeking a fourth consecutive and ninth overall title, begins Monday.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
WATCH: Umpire exits after hit in head with bat
Michael Jordan vetoed a Tracy McGrady for Scottie Pippen trade
WATCH: Irish soccer fans dent car roof, immediately fix it
Paulina Gretzky's dress upstages Dustin Johnson's U.S. Open win
Swedish soccer player removed from game for farting
Videos