The OC Marathon is set for May 5. Race director Gary Kutcher said the terrorist bombing attack at the Boston Marathon Monday -- in which three people were killed and 170 were injured -- is not deterring people from entering the race, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.
"Very few (participants) are voicing enough concern that they are choosing not to run," Kutcher said. "(We have had) a number of people who said, 'I wasn't planning on running because of a slight injury, but now I want to run in support of Boston.'"
Kutcher said registrations were running about 30 percent over what they were at this time last year.
Organizers had happened to step up their marketing efforts this week.
About 20,000 runners are expected for the event, which also includes a half-marathon, a 5K and events for children. The 26.2-mile main race starts in Newport Beach and ends at the county fairgrounds in Santa Ana.
The OC Marathon is a qualifier event for the Boston Marathon.
UPI horse racing weekend preview
Bo Jackson: I can't help Jameis Winston anymore