Yankees' Jeter to miss home opener

March 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM
| License Photo

TAMPA, Fla., March 24 (UPI) -- New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter will likely be on the disabled list for the team's 2013 home opener, General Manager Brian Cashman said Sunday.

Jeter, who is nursing a sore, surgically repaired left ankle, hasn't missed a Yankee Stadium opener since 2001.

Cashman said the New York captain will probably be on the shelf when the Yankees host Detroit April 6.

The team begins the season April 1 on the road against Boston.

Eduardo Nunez is set to replace Jeter as the team's everyday shortstop while the 38-year-old veteran stays behind in Florida to work on the ankle.

Jeter fractured the ankle during Game 1 of last year's American League Championship series against the Tigers.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending News
Seattle Seahawks hold off Detroit Lions for controversial win
Oakland Athletics promote Billy Beane, name David Forst GM
Apology saves Rory McIlroy $20K
Falcons hope to get injured RB Coleman back this week