Friday Madison High School senior Michael McComish began his match at the local gym known as the Madison Square Garden, later saying, "I walked over to the center, [got] set, and the next thing I know the lights are on top of me."
An 80-pound rack of spotlights and aluminum fell from the ceiling and landed on McComish, KSFY-TV, Sioux Falls, reported.
"I said to myself, 'What just hit me?' It was really bright. I noticed all the glass," he said. "When I was under the light trying to stand up, I heard screams, like girls in movies."
He sustained minor injuries -- cuts to his forehead and hands -- and his family said it does not intend to file suit against the school district.
"They say, 'In Madison Square Garden everyone gets to wrestle under the lights,' but I'm the only one who's truly gotten to wrestle under the lights," he said.
McComish lost the match due to "injury default," but his opponent, showing sportsmanship, offered the winner's medal to McComish's coach, who passed it to McComish, the television station said.