UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Sports News

Masters extends two special invitations

  |
 
Published: Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM

AUGUSTA, Ga., Jan. 11 (UPI) -- Augusta National Chairman Billy Payne said Friday Ryo Ishikawa and Thaworn Wiratchant had been extended special invitations to play in this year's Masters.

Neither of the players qualified in any of the categories used to determine invitations for the Masters, but have established themselves as two of the top players in Asia.

This will be the fifth straight Masters for Ishikawa, who has missed the cut in three of his four appearances.

Wiratchant was the leading money winner last year on the Asian Tour and is also the all-time leader in wins on that circuit. He will be playing in the Masters for the first time.

"We historically bring together a collection of the world's top players and this year is no different," Payne said. "The Masters has long established a tradition of supporting the global game and we were excited to extend invitations to Thaworn Wiratchant and Ryo Ishikawa, who we hope will provide added interest and enthusiasm for golf in Asia through their participation in the tournament."

The special invitations increase this year's Masters field to 85 players. That number could grow during the next three months if any players not otherwise eligible should win a PGA Tour event or if they move into the Top 50 in the world rankings.

Topics: Ryo Ishikawa
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Sports News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Sex toy company offering free vibrators to furloughed government employees, which is probably the...
8 killed and 79 critically injured after a Monster Truck veered into a crowd in Mexico on SUNDAY...
Always bring a ping pong paddle along with you if you're going to a pineapple knife fight
The most dangerous states in America. Always knew there was something shady about Delaware
Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it department: Criminals still return to the...
Healthcare.gov works great if you take away all those damn people wanting to sign up for it, says...