The NHL said it delivered a proposed collective bargaining agreement to players' union representatives Thursday but didn't release details.
"We are hopeful that once the union's staff and negotiating committee have had an opportunity to thoroughly review and consider out new proposal, they will share it with the players," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said.
"We want to get back on the ice as soon as possible."
TSN.ca reported a player said the NHL's proposal included, among other issues, a six-year limit on contracts. The league had previously sought a five-year limit.
The NHL owners locked players out Sept. 15 and more than half of the 2012-13 regular-season schedule -- all games through Jan. 14 -- has been canceled.
The dispute centers on allocation of hockey-related revenues. The league is looking to reduce the players' share of those funds, which the most recent CBA set at 57 percent.
The owners also seek to do away with salary arbitration and want to alter free-agency rules.