facebook
twitter
search
search

NHL labor talks break off

Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:03 PM

NEW YORK, Dec. 6 (UPI) -- A contract proposal from NHL players was rejected by club owners Thursday and talks aimed at saving the hockey season came to at least a temporary end.

After more than 20 hours of negotiations over the previous two days, including a late-night session on Wednesday, the optimism that had been generated faded away.

Union chief Donald Fehr said a message had been sent from the owners that the most recent offer by the players' association had not been accepted and that the message indicated there was no use in holding more talks on Friday.

The players had asked for the talks to continue with federal mediators present, but both sides must agree to that before outside representatives can enter the negotiations. Fehr said the owners had not agreed to having the mediators present.

The talks that took place Tuesday and Wednesday involved only a group of owners and players. Neither Fehr nor NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman were present during those sessions.

Representatives from both sides met for an hour Thursday before the talks came to an end.

Among the owners who had been present for the talks on Tuesday and Wednesday were Pittsburgh's Ron Burkle, Toronto's Larry Tanenbaum and Boston's Jeremy Jacobs.

The players involved have included Sidney Crosby, Shane Doan, Martin St. Louis and Manny Malhotra.

NHL owners locked out the players Sept. 16 after no new collective bargaining agreement could be reached. Games through Dec. 14 have been canceled, as has the Winter Classic and the 2013 All-Star Game.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Johnny Manziel has chance to start for Cleveland Browns
Gilbert Arenas banned from fair basketball game after dominating
Houston Astros bump Taylor Swift for possible playoff run
NFL, NFLPA engaged in Tom Brady settlement talks
Boston ends 2024 Summer Olympics bid