Nadal withdraws from London Olympics

July 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM
| License Photo

MADRID, July 19 (UPI) -- Spain's Rafael Nadal, who won the men's singles gold medal at the 2008 Olympics, Thursday withdrew from the 2012 Games in London.

Nadal, ranked No. 3 in the world, cited physical problems for his decision to skip the Summer Games in London. The Olympic tennis events will be contested at Wimbledon's grass courts where Nadal was a surprise second-round upset victim last month.

"I am not in the right physical condition to compete at the London Olympics and for this reason I will not travel as arranged with the Spanish delegation," Nadal said.

He said his withdrawal would allow "one of my (Spanish) teammates who is better prepared than me take my place and compete to the best of his ability."

Spanish officials had announced that Nadal would be the country's flag-bearer at the Opening Ceremonies in London.

Nadal said: "Today is one of the saddest days in my career. Carrying the flag for Spain at the Opening Ceremony was set to be one of the biggest honors, one of the most special moments for me. For this reason I hope you can understand how difficult it has been for me to take this decision."

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Rafael Nadal
Latest Headlines
Trending News
Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch out for MNF
New York Yankees get wild-card home field despite loss
Atlanta Falcons: 3 things we learned after Week 4 rout of Houston Texans
ACC football weekend review: Clemson Tigers hold off Notre Dame, earn national respect