Bodemeister, trained by three-time Derby winner Bob Baffert, drew the No. 6 post position, which will give the Arkansas Derby winner flexibility to gain position going into the first turn. Last year's 1-2 finishers in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, Hansen and Union Rags, got gates 14 and 4, respectively.
The 1 1/4-mile Kentucky Derby will be run Saturday afternoon at Churchill Downs in Louisville.
With one more entry than the field maximum of 21, My Adonis was placed on the also-eligible list and will draw into the field if any of the top 20 is withdrawn before Friday morning.
The dreaded No. 1 gate went to Daddy Long Legs, the winner of the UAE Derby in Dubai on March 31.
Todd Pletcher will saddle the undefeated Gemologist and El Padrino, who will start from No. 15 and No. 16, respectively.
The field, by post position, with jockey and morning-line odds:
1. Daddy Long Legs, Colm O'Donoghue, 30-1
2. Optimizer, Jon Court, 50-1
3. Take Charge Indy, Calvin Borel, 15-1
4. Union Rags, Julien Leparoux, 9-2
5. Dullahan, Kent Desormeaux, 8-1
6. Bodemeister, Mike Smith, 4-1
7. Rousing Sermon, Jose Lezcano, 50-1
8. Creative Cause, Joel Rosario, 12-1
9. Trinniberg, Willie Martinez, 50-1
10. Daddy Nose Best, Garrett Gomez, 15-1
11. Alpha, Rajiv Maragh, 15-1
12. Prospective, Luis Contreras, 30-1
13. Went the Day Well, John Velazquez, 20-1
14. Hansen, Ramon Dominguez, 10-1
15. Gemologist, Javier Castellano, 6-1
16. El Padrino, Rafael Bejarano, 20-1
17. Done Talking, Sheldon Russell, 50-1
18. Sabercat, Corey Nakatani, 30-1
19. I'll Have Another, Martin Gutierrez, 12-1
20. Liaison, Martin Garcia, 50-1
Also Eligible: My Adonis, Elvis Trujillo
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]