IndyCar ends probe into Las Vegas wreck

Dec. 15, 2011 at 9:46 PM

INDIANAPOLIS, Dec. 15 (UPI) -- IndyCar officials said Thursday, at the end of a two-month investigation, a "perfect storm" of events caused the Las Vegas wreck that killed driver Dan Wheldon.

Wheldon, a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500, died Oct. 16 during the season-ending IndyCar race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

There were 15 cars involved in the wreck that sent Wheldon's car sailing into the catch fence alongside the second turn of the track. The car burst into flames and series officials later said Wheldon suffered a "non-survivable head injury."

"There are multiple factors that are not uncommon to racing that came together in a way that claimed Dan's life," Brian Barnhart, president of operations for IndyCar, said during a news conference at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "It was a perfect storm. It is a tragedy. Our thoughts and support will always be with Dan's family."

IndyCar announced last week it would not hold a race next year at the Las Vegas track.

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Dan Wheldon
Latest Headlines
Trending News
Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch out for MNF
New York Yankees get wild-card home field despite loss
Atlanta Falcons: 3 things we learned after Week 4 rout of Houston Texans
ACC football weekend review: Clemson Tigers hold off Notre Dame, earn national respect