facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

IndyCar launches crash investigation

Oct. 18, 2011 at 9:28 PM   |   Comments

LAS VEGAS, Oct. 18 (UPI) -- Open wheel racing's governing body, IndyCar, announced Tuesday it has begun a formal investigation of Sunday's fatal 15-car crash in Las Vegas.

IndyCar said the results of the probe will be concluded within weeks, CNN reported.

The Automobile Competition Committee of the United States and the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile will assist in the investigation.

Two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon died in the fiery pileup. He had been testing a safer IndyCar model for the 2012 season in the weeks before his death.

"The safety of our drivers, their crews, IndyCar staff, racetrack staff and spectators is always our paramount concern," the organization said in a statement, declining to comment further to the broadcaster on the probe.

Topics: Dan Wheldon
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
NFL announces harsher punishments for domestic violence
2
McCoy, Redskins top Buccaneers
3
UEFA president Michel Platini will not challenge FIFA head Sepp Blatter
4
Lions thump Bills to end preseason
5
Green Bay's reserves beat Chiefs'
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback