LOS ANGELES, Sept. 28 (UPI) -- The Los Angeles Dodgers Tuesday denied they had violated their television contract with Fox Sports after Fox sued to block any sale of the team's TV rights.
Fox earlier in the day asked U.S. Bankruptcy Court judge to block any potential sale of the rights by embattled Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, contending they had the rights to Dodgers games nailed down through 2012 and also had the right to match any competing offer.
The team said in a written statement late Tuesday it was in compliance with the current television contract and urged the judge to approve the team's proposal to auction off the rights to the highest bidder. The auction, the statement said, "would "enable the Dodgers to emerge from bankruptcy on a solid financial footing."
The Los Angeles Times said the Fox suit came after Major League Baseball stated it would oppose any television deal that would leave McCourt in control of the team.
The Dodgers filed a discovery motion Tuesday requesting more time to seek evidence from MLB backing up its contention that the Dodgers were being mismanaged under McCourt. The Times said the Dodgers asked that an October hearing on MLB's request that the court force the sale of the team be delayed until December.