PHILADELPHIA, Sept. 21 (UPI) -- Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick, who suffered a concussion last weekend, participated in a walk-through practice Wednesday, the NFL team said.
Eagles trainer Rick Burkholder said Vick is "right where we expect him to be" in terms of recovering from the head injury. There are protocols the NFL outlined for players who have suffered concussions and Vick is going through that process, Burkholder said.
The trainer said Vick was close to baseline tests but must be evaluated by an independent neurologist before he is cleared to play.
"The only symptoms he has right now are his neck's a little sore, his jaw's a little sore," Burkholder said.
Philadelphia Coach Andy Reid said he was getting all three of the team's quarterbacks ready for Sunday's game against the New York Giants. It is the Eagles' home opener.
Mike Kafka took over after Vick was injured Sunday in a game with Atlanta. Also on the roster is Vince Young, who is listed as the No. 2 quarterback but has been recovering from a hamstring injury.
Schedule set in Ohio State/ESPN lawsuit
COLUMBUS, Ohio, Sept. 21 (UPI) -- A lawsuit against Ohio State University by ESPN over public records requests for e-mails about wrongdoing inside the OSU athletic department has been scheduled.
The Ohio Supreme Court ordered the parties to file evidence within 20 days, The Columbus Dispatch reported Wednesday.
ESPN must then file its brief within 10 days of presenting its evidence, the court ruled, and OSU must respond within 20 days after ESPN.
ESPN sued OSU in July, claiming the school withheld the e-mails by wrongfully hiding behind a federal student-privacy law.
OSU officials say shielding some details of alleged violations inside its athletic department comes under the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act designed to protect educational records.
ESPN has filed public record requests for e-mails and documents relating to alleged violations of NCAA rules by the OSU football program.
Modano retires after 21 NHL seasons
DETROIT, Sept. 21 (UPI) -- Mike Modano, who set the league record for goals by a U.S.-born player, said he is retiring after 21 seasons in the NHL.
Modano, 41, played 20 seasons with the Minnesota/Dallas NHL franchise, which made him the top selection in the 1988 NHL Entry Draft. He played 40 games last season for the Red Wings in his native Detroit.
Modano announced his retirement Wednesday on his Facebook page and is to have a news conference Friday.
"After a long summer of thinking about my future, I've come to the decision that it's time to retire as a player from the NHL," Modano posted. "There's way too many people to thank here at this time and too much to say, so I have a press conference scheduled for early Friday afternoon. Check back Friday late afternoon for more. What a great ride it's been!"
Modano scored 561 goals and had 813 assists for 1,359 points over 1,459 games played for the Stars. He had at least 30 goals in nine seasons and had a personal best of 50 goals in the 1993-94 season. Those represent franchise records as does his total of post-season goals (58), assists (87) and points (145).
He added four goals and 11 assist to his career totals while with Detroit last season.
Bee swarm cancels college golf tournament
FORT WORTH, Texas, Sept. 21 (UPI) -- A college golf tournament in Texas had to be canceled when tens of thousands of angry bees attacked people, stinging at least 16 of them, authorities said.
No one was seriously injured at the Waterchase Golf Club between Fort Worth and Arlington, the (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram reported Wednesday.
Course officials said the bee hive behind the 18th green was in a tree branch that snapped off during weekend storms.
Attempts to remove the branch Tuesday as a hazard led to the bees swarming and attacking people.
After 16 golfers, spectators and coaches had been stung, officials announced the cancellation of the rest of the University of Texas at Arlington/Waterchase Invitational.
"Bees were a little upset over what happened and looking for someone to take it out on," beekeeper David Lister, called out to deal with the hive, said.
Lister estimated between 40,000 and 50,000 bees had been displaced when the branch was moved.
Aaron Carter is still in love with Hilary Duff
Boston schools pull out free condoms over wrapping complaints