INDIANAPOLIS, Aug. 27 (UPI) -- Quarterback Peyton Manning said he was hopeful he would be healthy enough to play in the Colts' season opener next month.
Manning said in a sideline interview with CBS Sports Friday he was still rehabbing his neck and had an eye on a Sept. 11 return to duty.
"I've never missed a game my entire football career due to an injury, since I was all of 13 years old," Manning said. "I sure don't want to start with Week 1 this season."
Manning underwent minimally invasive surgery on his neck in May and told CBS he was in the middle of the rehabilitation process.
The Indianapolis Star said Saturday the Colts have not made any decisions on Manning's status for the opener against Houston. General Manager Bill Polian said the decision would be made "at the appropriate time."
Meantime, the Colts signed veteran free agent Kerry Collins earlier this week, which the newspaper said fueled speculation Manning might not be ready to go for a while longer.