MESA, Ariz., March 27 (UPI) -- Veteran Chicago Cubs starter Carlos Silva was officially released Sunday, a day after he said he wouldn't report to the minors.
The Cubs said Silva was granted his unconditional release Sunday and is free to negotiate with another squad after spending one season with the team.
Cubs Manager Mike Quade chose Andrew Cashner as the team's fifth starter Saturday, leaving the 31-year-old Silva off the team's 25-man roster. But the sinkerballer told reporters at a spring training game in Surprise, Ariz., he wasn't going to go to Class AAA Iowa.
"No chance," Silva told MLB.com. "That's not in my mind right now, not at all. I'm not an insurance player. My guess is that's what they want."
"I wish the best for him," Quade said. "If he can pitch somewhere, that would be fantastic."
Silva, who was one of the team's more dependable pitchers last year going 10-6 with a 4.22 ERA in 21 starts, struggled this spring, logging a 1-2 record with a 10.90 ERA over 17 1/3 innings.
He sports a 70-70 record and a 4.68 ERA over a nine-year career with Philadelphia, Minnesota, Seattle and the Cubs.