facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Cubs leave pitcher Carlos Silva off roster

March 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
SURPRISE, Ariz., March 26 (UPI) -- Veteran Chicago Cubs starter Carlos Silva said Saturday he won't report to the minor leagues after learning he hadn't made the opening-day roster.

Cubs Manager Mike Quade chose Andrew Cashner as the team's fifth starter, leaving the 31-year-old Silva off the team's 25-man roster. But Silva told reporters at a spring training game in Surprise, Ariz., he wasn't going to go to Class AAA Iowa.

"No chance," Silva told MLB.com. "That's not in my mind right now, not at all. I'm not an insurance player. My guess is that's what they want."

"I wish the best for him," Quade said. "If he can pitch somewhere, that would be fantastic."

Silva, who was one of the team's more dependable pitchers last year going 10-6 with a 4.22 ERA in 21 starts, struggled this spring, logging a 1-2 record with a 10.90 ERA over 17 1/3 innings.

Topics: Carlos Silva
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback