The move came one day after Moss caught only one pass for 8 yards against his former team, the New England Patriots, during the Vikings' 28-18 setback at Gillette Stadium.
"This decision was made based on what we thought was in the best interests of the Minnesota Vikings, both in the short and long term," Childress said in an issued statement. "We wish Randy the best as he moves forward in his career."
Moss garnered media attention after the game by telling reporters Childress didn't listen to his suggestions on how to play his former team.
He said he wasn't going to take questions from the media for the rest of year, despite being fined $25,000 last week for failing to cooperate with reporters after Minnesota's loss at Green Bay.
The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Childress didn't inform Vikings owner Zygi Wilf of his decision prior to leaving Moss behind in Boston following Sunday's loss.
Citing an NFL source whose name was not reported, the newspaper said the unilateral move has angered some in the Vikings organization and has put Childress' job in jeopardy.
Moss came to Vikings from the Patriots in an Oct. 6 deal for a third-round draft pick in 2011. He posted just nine receptions for 139 yards and three touchdowns for the Pats, while making 13 catches for 174 yards and a pair of scores in four games in his brief second stint with the Vikings.
Wisconsin business offering 'therapeutic cuddling' forced to close
N.J. man wakes up from 10-hour sleep with knife in back