facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Castroneves fined for fight with officials

Aug. 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM   |   Comments

INDIANAPOLIS, Aug. 2 (UPI) -- IZOD IndyCar Series officials Tuesday fined driver Helio Castroneves $60,000 and placed him on probation for the remainder of the season.

The discipline came as a result of Castroneves' meltdown following last month's race in Edmonton, Alberta, in which he was stripped of the victory for blocking his Team Penske teammate Will Power and failing to take the drive-through pit-lane penalty.

The Brazilian confronted two officials on pit lane after the conclusion of the race, making physical contact with one of them after exiting his car.

"I fully support the decisions of chief steward Brian Barnhart and Race Control," IZOD Series chief executive Randy Bernard said. "The drivers have been aware of the blocking rule for quite some time."

Bernard said suspending Castroneves was considered as an option, but added, "We felt suspension would hurt the fans more than anyone else."

© 2010 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
UPI horse racing weekend preview
2
NCAA Game Summary - Colorado State vs. Colorado
3
Tony Stewart on Kevin Ward's death: It 'will definitely affect my life forever'
4
Padres down Dodgers in 12 innings
5
Lamb's grand slam lifts Arizona past Colorado
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback