facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Report: Heavyweight title fight derailed

July 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
FRANKFURT, Germany, July 23 (UPI) -- The heavyweight title fight between Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin has been called off, Povetkin's manager said.

Klitschko was to defend his WBO and IBF belts in Frankfurt, Germany, on Sept. 11; however Povetkin's manager told Russia's RIA Novosti news agency Friday that the two camps could not come to an agreement on the terms of the bout.

The major sticking point, the report said, was insurance.

RIA Novosti said a fight between Russia's Povetkin and the Ukrainian-born champion could still be scheduled before the end of the year. The two had been scheduled to fight in 2008, but the bout was scrubbed when Povetkin hurt his ankle.

© 2010 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback