Federer withdraws from Dubai tournament

Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:31 PM   |   0 comments

| License Photo
LONDON, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Roger Federer, the No. 2-ranked player in the world, has withdrawn from next week's Dubai tournament and a Davis Cup series because of a back injury.

Federer had been expected to play in the $2.2 million Dubai Tennis Championships next week and in the Davis Cup first-round match in March for Switzerland against the United States but he said a back injury last fall hasn't completely healed.

"After injuring my back last fall, I did not have enough time to strengthen it completely," Federer said in a statement on his Web site. "As a precautionary measure, I will use the next few weeks to make sure the back injury is fully rehabilitated and I am ready for the rest of the 2009 season."

Federer hasn't played competitively since losing the Australian Open final to No. 1-ranked Rafael Nadal, who has also hinted that an injury may keep him out of the Dubai tournament.

Federer won the Dubai ATP stop four times and called the event "one of my favorites on tour" in announcing he his withdrawal.

© 2009 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
Join the conversation
Most Popular
Photos
Video
x
Feedback