facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Ballesteros says he has brain tumor

Oct. 12, 2008 at 10:33 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
MADRID, Oct. 12 (UPI) -- Golf star Seve Ballesteros, who won five major titles and dozens of others worldwide, said Sunday doctors at a Madrid hospital found a tumor in his brain.

The 51-year-old Spaniard said the tumor was detected after "exhaustive tests." A biopsy is scheduled for Tuesday.

Ballesteros collapsed at a Madrid airport last week and was hospitalized.

"Throughout my whole career, I have been one of the best at facing obstacles on the golf course," Ballesteros said in a statement on his Web site. "Now I want to be the best, facing the most difficult match of my life, with all my strength, and counting on all of you who are sending encouraging messages."

Ballesteros won the British Open three times and the Masters twice.

The Spaniard won 50 times on the European tour and has 87 titles worldwide. He appeared in eight Ryder Cups, accumulating a record of 20-12-5.

© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Tiger Woods opening restaurant in South Florida Tiger Woods opening restaurant in South Florida
2
Detroit Lions' Joseph Fauria sprains ankle chasing puppy Detroit Lions' Joseph Fauria sprains ankle chasing puppy
3
Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah wrongfully penalized for post-TD prayer Chiefs safety Husain Abdullah wrongfully penalized for post-TD prayer
4
Roger Goodell's bodyguard accused of assaulting NYC photographer Roger Goodell's bodyguard accused of assaulting NYC photographer
5
2014-15 Vancouver Canucks Preview
Trending News
x
Feedback