LONDON, March 5 (UPI) -- Martina Hingis, a former No. 1 in women's tennis, will play exhibitions this summer while her two-year ban for a positive drug test continues, a report said.
The BBC in London reported Tuesday that the 27-year-old Hingis will play at the Liverpool (England) International tennis event June 10-15.
"I have heard a lot about Liverpool over the years and all the fine work they have done up there to develop tennis in a region that is mostly famous for football," the five-time Grand Slam winner said.
"It is a great boost for us to have Martina playing in Liverpool," tournament director Anders Borg said.
The Women's Tennis Association levied a two-year suspension on the Hurden, Switzerland, resident following a positive test for cocaine after last year's Wimbledon tennis tournament.
Later she announced her retirement after saying the accusations against her were "horrendous and monstrous."
Before her retirement, Hingis was plagued by ankle ailments last season.