Report: Federer favors betting crackdown

Nov. 11, 2007 at 2:46 PM

SHANGHAI, Nov. 11 (UPI) -- Roger Federer is glad match-fixing allegations in men's tennis are being investigated closely by the Association of Tennis Professionals.

The world's top-ranked men's player told The Sydney Morning Herald Sunday he would have preferred a longer suspension for Italy's Alessio di Mauro, who last week was hit with a nine-month suspension and a $60,000 fine for gambling on matches.

"People should be fined or banned for a while. How long is up to other people to decide," Federer told the newspaper from Shanghai, where he will defend his season-ending Masters Cup title this week. "We should be very hard on these people. At the very top of the game, we don't have any problems at all. It's more with the lower-ranked players who have the temptation."

Among the players admitting in the past month to being asked to lose purposely are France's Arnaud Clement and Jan Hernych of the Czech Republic.

Neither of the latter players is ranked among the Top 25.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
San Francisco 49ers at New York Giants - NFL Week 5 preview
Louisville recruit JaQuan Lyle meets NCAA investigators
Dallas Cowboys' Jason Garrett talks with Greg Hardy about comments
Jeff Gordon eyes 'huge' win at Charlotte