facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Report: Hingis to fight drug allegation

Nov. 4, 2007 at 4:05 PM   |   Comments

LONDON, Nov. 4 (UPI) -- Swiss tennis star Martina Hingis has decided to challenge an allegedly positive drug test, a report says.

Friday, the former world No. 1 women's tennis player retired from the sport after admitting she was being investigated after allegedly testing positive for cocaine use following this season's Wimbledon tournament in June.

She vehemently has denied the allegation, and Sunday the BBC in London quoted Larry Scott, the CEO of the WTA Tour, as saying he understood Hingis would try to prove she is innocent.

"Everything that she and her representatives have said to me is that they are going to fight it," Scott said.

The five-time Grand Slam champion was plagued by hip problems in 2007 and ended her season Oct. 11 with one title, the 43rd of her career.

"I find these accusations so horrendous, so monstrous that I've decided to confront it head on by talking to the press," she said last week. "I have never taken drugs and I feel 100 percent innocent."

© 2007 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback