Marcus Vick says he will go pro

Jan. 7, 2006 at 10:25 PM   |   0 comments

BLACKSBURG, Va., Jan. 7 (UPI) -- Quarterback Marcus Vick -- who was dismissed from Virginia Tech's football team Friday -- announced Saturday he will enter the NFL Draft in April.

The dismissal came after a review of game tape of the Hokies' game against Louisville in the Gator Bowl on Monday, which showed Vick stomping the leg of Cardinals' defensive end Elvis Dumervil after a play in the second quarter.

In a statement Friday night, school president Charles Steger said a "cumulative effect of legal infractions and unsportsmanlike conduct" led to the action. That announcement came on the same day it was reported that Vick, a junior at Virginia Tech, had been ticketed for speeding and driving with a suspended license near his hometown of Newport News, Va., in December.

Steger said at a news conference on Saturday that he discussed the matter with both Vick's mother and Coach Frank Beamer.

"I'm very disappointed," Beamer said on the school's Web site. "I wish him the best."

Topics: Marcus Vick
© 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Trending News
Join the conversation
Most Popular
Photos
Video
x
Feedback