facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Konerko to stay on with White Sox

Dec. 1, 2005 at 12:51 PM   |   Comments

CHICAGO, Dec. 1 (UPI) -- Paul Konerko has signed a five-year, $60 million deal to remain with the White Sox, for whom he has played the last seven seasons.

Part of the reason for Konerko's agreeing to stay on was General Manager Ken Williams' acquisition last week of slugger Jim Thome, reports the Chicago Sun-Times.

Konerko, who helped the Sox to its first World Series championship in 88 years, said: "This wore me down more than anything that happened on the field. I never had been more torn. It caught me off guard, but ultimately I got what I wanted as far as where I wanted to be and the original goal. It all worked out.''

After the Los Angeles Angels, the last legitimate contender for Konerko, increased their offer from four years and $50 million to five years and $60 million, the Sox moved in to match the package, the report said.

The Chicago Tribune reported that Konerko also was pleased with Thome's acquisition. "It was the greatest move the White Sox could make to bring me back," Konerko said.

© 2005 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Red Sox sign Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo for 7-year deal
2
Raiders LB Moore taken off field on stretcher
3
2013-14 college football bowl results
4
Yankees host White Sox trying to stay in playoff hunt
5
Fister, Nats eye 11th straight win in opener with Giants
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback