facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Lewis-Klitschko rematch postponed

Aug. 4, 2003 at 2:36 PM   |   Comments

HAMBURG, Germany, Aug. 4 (UPI) -- One month after agreeing to a December rematch against Vitali Klitschko, Lennox Lewis has postponed the bout.

Lewis posted a sixth-round TKO of Klitschko on June 21, and the rematch was tentatively scheduled for Dec. 6. On Monday, Klaus-Peter Kohl, the CEO for Universum, Klitschko's German-based promoter, revealed that Lewis will not fight again this year.

"That's unfortunate," Kohl said. "Vitali and I will now sit together and decide what is best for him and what makes sense."

Klitschko (32-2, 31 KOs) was a heavy underdog, but was ahead on all three scorecards when the fight was stopped. Lewis (41-2-1, 32 KOs) took the fight on two weeks notice when Kirk Johnson pulled out with an injury.

Klitschko had a huge gash over his left eye and other cuts that required over 60 stitches, but protested the stoppage.

After the fight, Lewis said he was on the verge of knocking out Klitschko. In a conference call last month, Lewis said Klitschko "definitely impressed, he threw some good punches."

© 2003 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Vikings exempt Adrian Peterson until child abuse allegations resolved, not suspended but can't play Vikings exempt Adrian Peterson until child abuse allegations resolved, not suspended but can't play
2
Surging Lions entertain struggling Argos
3
Zygi Wilf: 'We made a mistake'
4
NFL Players Association appeals Ray Rice's indefinite suspension NFL Players Association appeals Ray Rice's indefinite suspension
5
Lone Star State showdown pits Aggies against Mustangs
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback