Two withdrawals from Monte Carlo

April 9, 2003 at 9:43 PM

MONTE CARLO, Monaco, April 9 (UPI) -- Tim Henman of Britain Wednesday became the latest withdrawal from next week's Tennis Masters Series event at Monte Carlo to rest nagging injuries.

Henman, 28, No. 22 in the world, has withdrawn after experiencing stiffness in his right shoulder at the recent Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami. He underwent arthroscopic surgery on the shoulder late last year, and has played in four prior events without any pain.

On his official Web site, Henman said, "Having taken my time to make sure that I fully recovered from my operation, and after feeling 100 percent in America recently, it's really frustrating and very disappointing to have picked up a slightly different shoulder problem."

He joined Sebastien Grosjean of France on the sidelines.

Grosjean, ranked 11th in the world, injured his left thigh last week in an opening singles match against George Bastl in France's Davis Cup quarterfinal matchup against Switzerland.

Grosjean, 24, won, but was forced to withdraw from Sunday's reverse singles against Roger Federer. He was replaced by Fabrice Santoro, who lost in straight sets, leading to France's first quarterfinal Davis Cup loss in three years.

"This is a little muscle tear, but it forces me to rest completely for at least two weeks," Grosjean told the French newspaper L'Equipe.

Grosjean is expected to return to competition on May 5 at the Masters Series event in Rome.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending News
Steve Kerr takes leave from Golden State Warriors for back rehab
Hall of Famer Warren Sapp avoids jail in plea deal
Report: Miami Marlins interview Bo Porter for manager's job
Chicago Bears: Jay Cutler practices, might return in Week 4 from hamstring injury