The world's top golfer on Sunday confirmed what had been widely expected when he announced he would remain in the United States rather than travel to the Middle East for the tournament that starts in the United Arab Emirates on Thursday.
"I have reluctantly decided to postpone my appearance until next year," Woods, who is participating in the Match Play Championship said in a statement. "The organizers offered tremendous support and security for this proposed trip. However, for the foreseeable future, I felt it would be most prudent to avoid international travel."
Woods, who has received an appearance fee believed to be in the vicinity of $2 million, announced he would play next year in an effort to soften the blow to tournament organizers.
"Losing Tiger will be disappointing to his many fans in this part of the world, but we reluctantly have to respect his decision," tournament vice chairman Mohamed Ali Alabbar said.
However, world No. 2 Ernie Els of South Africa still plans to play, along with half of last year's winning European Ryder Cup team.
Montgomerie instead will play this week's Ford Championship in Miami, while Scott will play next week's Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens rather than defend his title at the European Tour's Qatar Masters.
Woods is expected to take two weeks off before competing at the Bay Hill Invitational in Orlando.
Ukrainian protestors topple Lenin statue [VIDEO]
Selena Gomez drops F-bomb, walks off stage during Jingle Ball performance