BLOOMINGTON, Ind., Dec. 24 (UPI) -- Indiana Coach Mike Davis faces suspension after his school was told by the Big Ten Conference that he had violated its ethical conduct policy.
Indiana was given a Friday deadline to take action against the coach, who replaced Bobby Knight and who took the Hoosiers to the national championship game last season.
"We will comply with the Big Ten's request and consider all of our options," Indiana Interim Athletic Director Terry Clapacs told the Indianapolis Star. "We're taking this very seriously. I want to re-read the letter a few times and then we will decide what the best response will be."
Indiana was trailing Kentucky by a point last Saturday when Hoosiers guard Bracey Wright drove into the lane with three seconds remaining in an attempt to hit the winning basket. Wright was unsuccessful and Davis rushed onto the court to protest the lack of a foul call.
Davis was given two technical fouls and kicked out of the game. Kentucky converted five free throws as a result and won the game, 70-64.
The Indiana coach apologized after the game and he remained apologetic in comments made to the Star.
"What I did was wrong and I'll support Terry Clapacs and our administration with whatever they think is right," Davis told the newspaper.
The loss to Kentucky was the first of the year for the 11th-ranked Hoosiers, who next play at Temple on Saturday.
Bowl rush begins on Christmas
LAS VEGAS, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- The rush of college bowl games begins Christmas with 25 contests scheduled over the next 10 days.
A dozen of those games will be played on either New Year's Eve or New Year's Day with the action concluding on the evening of Jan. 3, when Miami and Ohio State will play for the national championship.
UCLA Bruins will be between coaches Wednesday when they take on New Mexico in the Las Vegas Bowl. The Bruins ended the regular season with one-sided losses to Southern California and Washington State and fired Coach Bob Toledo after the 48-27 loss to the Cougars. The Bruins have given up 100 points in their last two games, suffering a 52-21 setback to USC on Nov. 23.
Former UCLA receiver and Denver Broncos assistant Karl Dorrell was hired as Toledo's replacement, but will not be on the sidelines for the Las Vegas Bowl.
In Honolulu, Hawaii will host Tulane in the inaugural Hawaii Bowl. A year ago, the Warriors were shut out of a bowl despite finishing 9-3. Hawaii did not not have to worry about that this year as it has known its postseason destination for several weeks. The Warriors were the first team to accept a bowl invitation in mid-November.
The contest could be a showcase for sophomore quarterback Timmy Chang, who directs the nation's top passing attack. The Warriors have averaged 387.9 yards per game through the air. Chang completed 335 of 603 passes for 4,350 yards and 25 touchdowns in Hawaii's "Run-and-Shoot" offense.
Cowboys owner criticized in editorial
DALLAS, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was urged in a newspaper editorial Tuesday to surrender his general manager's duties.
Jones is expected to fire Coach Dave Campo after the regular-season finale against Washington next Sunday and there has been speculation he will hire two-time Super Bowl winning coach Bill Parcells, with whom he held a five-hour meeting last week.
A loss to the Redskins would leave the Cowboys with a 5-11 record for the third straight year and the Dallas Morning News took Jones to task Tuesday in an editorial page commentary.
"If Jerry Jones really wants to see the Cowboys in the Super Bowl again," the unsigned editorial concluded, "he needs to look inside for answers before he tries to line up a high-profile coach to save the day.
"The Cowboys are one of only a handful of NFL teams where the owner also serves as the general manager. It isn't working.
"Hire any coach you want to lead the Cowboys, Mr. Jones. But then shock the worldd by telling him to call if he needs anything. Who knows? You might even enjoy the time off."
Yankees sign Contreras
NEW YORK, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- The New York Yankees Tuesday announced that they have reached an understanding with coveted righthander Jose Contreras on the structure of a four-year contract.
The completion of an agreement is subject to the approval of the Commissioner's Office, other regulatory procedures, and a physical examination.
Financial terms were not disclosed, but the deal reportedly was for over $30 million.
"Jose Contreras is most certainly the premier amateur pitcher in the world and may be the best pitcher ever in amateur play," said Gordon Blakeley, the Yankees' Vice President of International and Professional Scouting. "He has an exceptional fastball and breaking ball plus a championship makeup, and we expect him to have great success at the major league level."
Monday was the first day the free agent could begin contract talks and it was expected that Contreras, a native of Cuba, would sign with the Yankees or the American League East rival Boston Red Sox.
"This is a great Christmas present for Yankee fans everywhere and was a total team effort by our organization," said General Manager Brian Cashman.
Contreras, a star on Cuba's national team before he defected Oct. 2 while the team competed in a tournament in Monterrey, Mexico, was declared a free agent last week after establishing residency in Nicaragua a week earlier.
Contreras, 31, compiled a 117-50 career record with a 2.82 ERA in the Cuban League. He went 13-4 with a 1.76 ERA this season.
The Red Sox, with 28-year-old general manager Theo Epstein, were the Yankees' primary competition for Contreras, who recently visited the South Florida home of Boston owner John Henry. Former Red Sox ace and fellow Cuban Luis Tiant also was involved in the courtship.
Boasting a fastball in the mid-90s, Contreras is joining a crowded rotation in New York that includes Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte, David Wells, Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, also from Cuba, and Jeff Weaver. The club also is close to re-signing Roger Clemens.
The 6-4, 220-pound Contreras drew widespread attention during an exhibition game in Havana in 1999, when he allowed just two hits and struck out 10 in eight scoreless innings against the Baltimore Orioles.
Reds ink three veterans
CINCINNATI, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- The Cincinnati Reds Tuesday signed veteran righthanders Pete Harnisch and Jose Rijo to minor league contracts.
Harnisch, 36, signed with the Colorado Rockies last February, but missed the entire 2002 campaign with a right elbow injury. In 2001, he was with the Reds, going 1-3 with a 6.37 ERA in seven starts before going on the disabled list with elbow problems.
He spent four years with Reds, compiling a 39-26 record with a 3.89 ERA.
Rijo, 37, posted a 5-4 record with 5.14 ERA in 31 games, including nine starts, last season.
Like Harnisch, Rijo also is no stranger to elbow problems. He has had five surgeries and was out of baseball for six years before signing with the Reds in 2000.
The Reds also signed infielder Wilton Guerrero to a minor league contract.
Guerrero, 28, hit a combined .221 with the Reds and Montreal Expos. He was traded by the Reds to Florida in a deal that brought righthander Ryan Dempster to Cincinnati, then dealt by the Marlins to Montreal.
Knicks to retire Ewing's number
NEW YORK, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- The New York Knicks announced Tuesday that they will retire the No. 33, worn by Patrick Ewing.
The number will be retired in a ceremony at halftime of a game against the Orlando Magic on Feb. 28.
Ewing, voted one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history, is the Knicks' all-time leader in points (24,815), rebounds (10,759), blocked shots (2,758), steals (1,061), games played (1,039), field goals (9,260), and free throws (5,26).
"I am honored to have my jersey retired by this franchise," said Ewing, who is an assistant coach with the Washington Wizards. "I have spent the majority of my career in New York and I will always consider myself a Knick. I will always cherish the memories that I have made in New York."
An 11-time All-Star center in 15 years with the Knicks, Ewing turned them into perennial contenders throughout the 1990s, but was never able to deliver a championship for New York.
"Patrick was the symbol of all that was great about New York basketball over a 15-year span that includes two NBA Finals appearances and four division titles," said Knicks General Manager Scott Layden. "We feel there is no finer honor to bestow upon him that to have his number take its rightful place in the rafters with other franchise greats."
Ewing will join Walt Frazier, Dick Barnett, Earl Monroe, Dick McGuire, Willis Reed, Dave DeBusschere and Bill Bradley as the only Knick players to have their numbers retired. Hall of Fame Coach Red Holzman is also represented in the rafters at Madison Square Garden.
At his request, Ewing was traded by the Knicks to Seattle in 2000. He announced his retirement last September after playing sparingly for the Orlando Magic in 2001-02.
Ewing finished with career averages of 21.0 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.45 blocks in 1,183 games.
Bulger will not need surgery
ST. LOUIS, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger will miss the team's regular season finale next Monday because of a back injury.
He will not require surgery.
Bulger was hurt when he was sacked by Antonio Cochran and John Hilliard three minutes into Sunday's 30-10 loss at Seattle. A CT scan revealed no broken bones and Bulger will not require surgery, but will need to rest for 6-8 weeks.
"It's painful for him, but it's not going to hinder his career or affect him in any way," said Rams Coach Mike Martz of Bulger's injury.
On Sunday, Bulger was trying to become the first quarterback to win his first seven NFL starts since Minnesota's Daunte Culpepper in 2000, but attempted just one pass before the injury. Jamie Martin replaced Bulger and threw for 259 yards and a touchdown, but was intercepted three times.
Scott Covington is the only other quarterback on the Rams roster. St. Louis lost starter Kurt Warner to a broken hand in a Dec. 1 loss at Philadelphia.
Bulger was 6-0 as a starter filling in for Warner this season, but also was sidelined for a few games with a sprained finger ligament. He has completed 64 percent of his passes for 1,826 yards and 14 touchdowns with six interceptions.
The Rams (6-9), who missed the playoffs for the first time in four years, will also be without starting linebacker Tommy Polley and defensive end Grant Wistrom for the season finale against San Francisco. Polley has a high ankle sprain and Wistrom a hairline fracture in his right leg.
Athletics ink Chris Singleton
OAKLAND, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- The Oakland Athletics have agreed to terms with outfielder Chris Singleton on a one-year contract with a club option for 2004.
Financial terms were not disclosed.
Singleton, 30, who likely will be Oakland's centerfielder, batted .262 with nine home runs, 50 RBI, and 20 stolen bases last season for the Baltimore Orioles, who did not tender him a contract last week.
Singleton, who broke into the majors with the Chicago White Sox in 1999, has a .278 career average with 44 homers, 229 RBI and 74 steals in 556 games.
He has spent the majority of his playing time in center, and could replace Terrence Long, who is expected to be shifted to leftfield next season.
Kings lose Deadmarsh
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- The Los Angeles Kings have placed right wing Adam Deadmarsh on the injured reserve list, retroactive to Dec. 16, with post-concussion like symptoms.
Deadmarsh, 27, has missed the last three games because of dizziness.
In 20 games with the Kings this season, he leads the Kings with 13 goals to go along with four assists and 21 penalty minutes.
To take Deadmarsh's spot on the roster, the Kings activated center Derek Armstrong from the injured reserve list. Armstrong, who has been out with a groin strain, has five goals and five assists in 19 games.
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]