CLEVELAND, July 22 (UPI) -- The Cleveland Indians on Monday continued to clean house, sending infielder-outfielder Jolbert Cabrera to the Los Angeles Dodgers for minor league lefthander Lance Caraccioli.
In his fifth year with the Indians' organization, Cabrera appeared in just 38 games this season, batting .111 (8-for-72) with seven RBI. The versatile 29-year-old also played 23 games for Class AAA Buffalo, hitting .286 (26-for-91) with seven RBI. Cabrera entered the season with a .251 career average, three home runs and 53 RBI.
The Indians traded Roberto Alomar and allowed Juan Gonzalez, Kenny Lofton, Dave Burba and Marty Cordova to leave via free agency in the offseason. On Friday, they continued paring payroll by dealing veteran lefthander Chuck Finley to the St. Louis Cardinals for a pair of minor leaguers.
The 24-year-old Caraccioli was 4-2 with a 3.06 ERA in 10 games with Class AA Jacksonville before being promoted to Class AAA Las Vegas, where he went 4-3 with a 4.14 ERA in 10 games. A 1998 10th-round draft pick, Caraccioli will report to Buffalo.
Clark becomes free agent
TORONTO, July 22 (UPI) -- Forward-center Keon Clark became an unrestricted free agent Monday after the Toronto Raptors rescinded the qualifying offer they made less than a month ago.
"Withdrawing our qualifying offer best serves the interests of Keon Clark as well as the Raptors," general manager Glen Grunwald said. "We appreciate the contributions he has made to our organization, and this will enable him to pursue the best possible opportunity without being encumbered by being a restricted free agent."
The New York Knicks are among the teams that have expressed interest in the 27-year-old Clark, who averaged a career-high 11.3 points and 7.4 rebounds last season.
While the Raptors would not dismiss the possibility of re-signing him, Grunwald said, "With the announcement of a decrease in the league's salary cap for next season, it is critical that we put together the best possible team now while maintaining flexibility to also improve along the way within the framework of the luxury tax."
The 6-11, 221-pound Clark was acquired from the Denver Nuggets in January 2001 as part of a six-player trade.
Fenway Park salutes Ted Williams
BOSTON, July 22 (UPI) -- Fans and friends but not family gathered Monday at Fenway Park to celebrate the life and accomplishments of Boston Red Sox baseball great Ted Williams.
Billed as "Ted Williams: A Celebration of an American Hero," the tribute remembered the Hall of Famer not only for what he did on the diamond, but also his service to his country in two wars as a Marine fighter pilot as well his selfless contributions on behalf children with cancer with the Jimmy Fund charity.
"He was my hero growing up," said Bill Nowlin, author of "Ted Williams: In Pursuit of Perfection," one of hundreds of fans who showed up early at Fenway Park for the free morning segment of a two-part celebration.
"It's a day of celebration, more than a sad day," Nowlin said. "He had just such a wonderful life."
Williams died July 5 at the age of 83 following a series of strokes and congestive heart failure.
A second, ticketed event was scheduled for Monday evening featuring a lineup of some 50 dignitaries led by Pesky and another former teammate, Dom DiMaggio. Among those scheduled to speak were Sen. John Glenn, who flew combat missions with Williams during the Korean War.
Reds reactivate Griffey
CINCINNATI, July 22 (UPI) -- The Cincinnati Reds Monday reactivated Ken Griffey Jr., from the disabled list.
The 11-time All-Star centerfielder had been out since June 25 with a strained right hamstring and the Reds appear to have faring better without him.
Griffey has played in just 26 games this season, including 20 starts, and the Reds are 10-16 in that span. Without Griffey, they are 41-31 and trail first-place St. Louis by 3 ½ games in the National League Central.
Griffey is batting just .243 with two home runs and four RBI. His first stint on the DL this season was from April 8-May 23 with a torn patella tendon in his right knee. He also missed eight games from June 8-16 with his hamstring injury.
Orioles' Erickson arrested for assault
BALTIMORE, July 22 (UPI) -- Baltimore Orioles pitcher Scott Erickson was arrested Sunday night on an assault charge and released on his own recognizance, police said Monday.
Police did not reveal further details, but Baltimore television stations reported Monday that the assault charge was related to a domestic violence incident. Erickson is single.
The 34-year-old righthander pitched on Sunday afternoon and allowed five runs over five innings in Baltimore's 8-7 loss to the Chicago White Sox. He has a 4-9 record with a 4.25 ERA in 21 starts this season.
Baltimore's Opening Day starter, Erickson missed all of last season after undergoing elbow surgery in 2000.
Rogers puts Reds on hold
CINCINNATI, July 22 (UPI) -- The Cincinnati Reds have worked out an agreement to acquire Kenny Rogers from the Texas Rangers, but the veteran lefthander has put the deal on hold.
Rogers has a no-trade clause in his contract and is still deciding on whether to waive it and accept the deal.
"I haven't made up my mind," Rogers said Monday. "My first inclination is to stay here (in Texas) because it's home, but I'm not trying to lean either way right now."
The Reds confirmed Sunday that they reached an agreement to acquire Rogers from the Rangers for three minor leaguers, contingent on Rogers waiving his no-trade clause.
The 37-year-old Rogers is in the final year of a three-year contract with the Rangers that will pay him $7.5 million this season. He is 10-5 with a 3.39 ERA for a team that is in last place in the American League West with a 41-57 record.
Agassi back in action
LOS ANGELES,July 22 (UPI) -- Andre Agassi returns to action this week when the $375,000 Mercedes-Benz Cup opens the United States summer hardcourt season.
The second seed, Agasi has not played since suffering a stunning straight-sets loss to Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan in the second round of Wimbledon.
The 32-year-old Agassi has won this event twice. Last year he defeated fellow American Pete Sampras in the final. Agassi has won three titles this year, with the most recent coming at the Tennis Masters Series Rome in May, when he won in straight sets over Germany's Tommy Haas in the final.
Moya seeks 3rd straight title
SOPOT, Poland, July 22 (UPI) -- Second seed Carlos Moya of Spain seeks his third title in as many weeks at the $681,000 Idea Prokom Open.
Moya is coming off titles at the Swedish Open and Croatia Open and is seeking his 10th career claycourt crown. On Sunday, Moya successfully defended his title at the Croatia Open, cruising past compatriot and qualifier David Ferrer, 6-2, 6-3, in the final.
The 25-year-old Moya's 31-6 record on claycourts this season is the best on the ATP tour. He faces Sweden's Andreas Vinciguerra in the first round. Vinciguerra has not won a match since January's Australian Open.
Jiri Novak of the Czech Republic is the top seed. Novak, who has reached the semifinals in five events this season, takes on French qualifier Sebastien De Chaunac.
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]