UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Starbucks WiFi more secure than Pentagon's?

Defense attorneys for the "Gitmo 5" asked the 9/11 trial judge to halt pre-trial hearings until the Pentagon's networks could be made more secure.
  |
 
A sign for Camp Delta where detainees are housed is seen at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay in Cuba on July 8, 2010. UPI/Roger L. Wollenberg
A sign for Camp Delta where detainees are housed is seen at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay in Cuba on July 8, 2010. UPI/Roger L. Wollenberg 
License photo
Published: Sept. 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM
By GABRIELLE LEVY, UPI.com | Blog

A senior Pentagon official told a judge in the 9/11 trial she had her staff use WiFi networks in coffee shops and hotel lobbies, rather than the Pentagon's glitch-prone network at Guantanamo Bay US naval base and offices in Virginia.

Defense lawyers in the trial hearings of five Guantanamo Bay prisoners, charged with perpetrating the hijacking of four planes on September 11, 2001, Thursday asked the judge to halt all pre-trial hearings until the Pentagon's network can be made more secure.

Since April, chief military defense counsel Air Force Col. Karen Mayberry said she has directed her lawyers to avoid using the Pentagon's network after sensitive documents were lost or altered, prosecutors were given access to defense emails, and outside monitors had been able to track researchers' preparation work.

It is "an extremely difficult work environment,” Col. Mayberry said. “It has become a cumbersome process to complete even the most simple of tasks.”

David Nevin, the lead counsel for the Khalid Sheik Mohammed, who has claimed to have masterminded the 9/11 attacks, described "real-time monitoring" in which government officials questioned his team about visiting terrorism-related sites as part of their research.

The Pentagon's chief technology officer testified "relatively low cost" solutions could be used to address the defense's concerns.

Army Col. James Pohl recessed the week-long hearing without a decision.

Each of the so-called "Gitmo 5" faces the death penalty if convicted.

Follow @gabbilevy and @UPI on Twitter.
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Technology Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Photoshop this relaxing redhead
Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Spiteful Obama blocks off view of Mt. Rushmore
Why do Americans have such large refrigerators?
Home Alone 2: Las Vegas. Nine-year-old boy hops a plane from the Twin Cities to Sin City without...
Sex toy company offering free vibrators to furloughed government employees, which is probably the...
8 killed and 79 critically injured after a Monster Truck veered into a crowd in Mexico on SUNDAY...