UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Remember the ad-free days of the Internet? So do AdTrap inventors

  |
 
Published: Sept. 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

PALO ALTO, Calif., Sept. 30 (UPI) -- A device that nabs online ads before they hit Internet-connected devices was born from waxing about the Internet's infancy, AdTrap's California inventors say.

AdTrap allows users to access to the Internet and gives them freedom to surf the Web without those pesky ads, CNN reported Sunday.

It was a discussion about simpler times on the Internet that led to AdTrap's development, inventors Chad Russell and Charles Butkus said.

"It was page, text and pictures -- and that's it," Russell said of the Internet of old -- sans ads.

So, Russell and Butkus embarked on restoring the past and -- viola! -- AdTrap was born and now grows in Palo Alto, Calif.

The company's motto: "The Internet is yours again."

While there are software and browser plug-ins that block online advertisements, they're limited to the individual device or the specific browser while AdTrap intercepts the ads before they reach any device on a network, CNN said.

AdTrap, a hardware solution in white rectangular box that resembles a router, costs about $139.

Interest and enthusiasm for Russell and Butkus' idea turned into $200,000, raised through a 30-day Kickstarter crowdsourcing campaign earlier this year and began shipping in August, CNN said.

"I think it speaks to the mindset of people right now of their experience on the Internet," Russell said.

But ads also allow websites to offer content free and devices like AdTrap could put that business model at risk -- and possibly spell legal woes for Russell and Butkus or other similar entrepreneurs, CNN said.

Russell and Butkus said they've already retained a law firm, just in case.

Topics: Palo Alto
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Orbital Sciences sends first spacecraft to ISS
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Technology Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Photoshop this relaxing redhead
Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Spiteful Obama blocks off view of Mt. Rushmore
Why do Americans have such large refrigerators?
Home Alone 2: Las Vegas. Nine-year-old boy hops a plane from the Twin Cities to Sin City without...
Sex toy company offering free vibrators to furloughed government employees, which is probably the...
8 killed and 79 critically injured after a Monster Truck veered into a crowd in Mexico on SUNDAY...