UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Russia may resume Proton launches after July failure

  |
 
Published: Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM

MOSCOW, Aug. 5 (UPI) -- Russia's Roscosmos space agency says it plans to resume launches of its Proton-M rockets, with five scheduled before the end of the year.

It will end a freeze on all scheduled launches after a Proton-M with navigation satellites exploded shortly after liftoff from Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan July 2, RIA Novosti reported Monday.

The launches could resume in September when "all necessary work will have been completed," Roscosmos deputy head Alexander Lopatin said.

The first Proton to be launched would carry a foreign satellite, Roscosmos chief Vladimir Popovkin said.

"It is possible to conduct one launch in three weeks. So there will be four or five of them [till the end of the year]," Popovkin told Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, who is in charge of the space and defense industries.

Quality control on the systems side of Proton construction, conducted up until 2010 by Defense Ministry representatives, would be supervised by the satellite makers from now on, Popovkin said.

"Increasing quality control along with resuming inspections by military representatives must bring positive results," he said.

Last week Medvedev reprimanded Popovkin for "improperly fulfilling his professional duties."

Topics: Vladimir Popovkin, Dmitry Rogozin
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Science News Stories
Video
1 of 17
NLDS St. Louis Cardinals at Pittsburgh Pirates in Pittsburgh
View Caption
St. Louis Cardinals starter Joe Kelly delivers a pitch through the sunlight in the first inning of game 3 of the NLDS against the at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on October 6, 2013. The series is tied at one game each. UPI/Pat Benic
fark
Woman lures ex-boyfriend to her bedroom by undressing, striptease; her jealous new lover stabs him...
Tragic accident or not, let's raffle off a gun to raise money for this guy's legal defense. That...
There are horrible, tasteless ways to tease your newscast. And then there's this
Spending over a decade studying and training to attain one of the most respected and valued jobs...
FARK party in Chicago. Monday, October 7. Going to the Art Museum, getting pizza and drinking (OF...
Neighbors say that the arrest of a crack-dealing elderly woman has made their neighborhood a better...