UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Radiation exposure considered significant risk in manned Mars mission

  |
 
Artist's impression of a manned mission to Mars. Credit: NASA
Artist's impression of a manned mission to Mars. Credit: NASA
Published: May 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM

BOULDER, Colo., May 30 (UPI) -- Astronauts who might journey someday to Mars would be subject to significant radiation risks, a NASA Curiosity rover study released Thursday concluded.

Researchers led by Cary Zeitlin of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo., said measurements from the space agency's Curiosity rover, which arrived on Mars last year, suggest astronauts would likely receive a significant fraction -- about 15 percent to 20 percent -- of their lifetime recommended allowable radiation dose on a round-trip to Mars. USA Today reported.

On its trip to Mars the Curiosity rover was shielded by the skin of its enclosing spacecraft, which provided about the amount of shielding astronauts could expect on their way to Mars, the researchers said.

On such a mission a constant stream of cosmic rays from outside the solar system would raise an astronaut's lifetime odds of cancer and cataracts, they said.

"The best thing to do is to get there faster," Zeitlin told the journal Science, which published the study.

Once on the Red Planet, astronauts walking on the surface would largely be unshielded from space radiation, which would further increase their exposure and could put Mars visitors near the point of a 3 percent lifetime risk of cancer that NASA uses as a limit for each astronaut's career.

"By our best current estimates, the cancer risks would not be expected to be a 'show stopper,' but there is still a lot we don't know," said radiation expert Sally Amundson of the Columbia University Medical Center in New York, who was not part of the study.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Science News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Shepherds guide 2,000 sheep through Madrid, Spain, and hope their attempt to save ancient herding...
Not news: being charged with weapons possession. Fark: the weapon was a puppy
I spied 'er across the crowded lawn. She had eight of the hairiest, most beautiful legs I've ever...
Since there's a popular caffeinated beverage/food fight trifecta in play, here's an article that...
Nine in ten travelers think reclining seats should be banned on airplanes. The tenth should be ejected...
Remember the guy who was caught on camera punching a female clerk over 41 cents? He has been captured...