facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Italy announces Pompeii project plan

April 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM   |   Comments

NAPLES, Italy, April 6 (UPI) -- The Italian government says its Great Pompeii Project will save and maintain the historic archaeological site that "must remain standing."

Italian Premier Mario Monti introduced the plans for the project in Naples Thursday, ANSA reported.

The undertaking would eliminate illegality and mismanagement, Monti said, to "secure the site's damaged areas and to ensure that this is done using capable, honest businesses, not organized crime."

Last month the EU Commission approved restoration funds for Pompeii's ailing monuments, with Italy promising matching funds.

The total sum of $140 million is intended to "preserve, maintain and improve the site, not only in the interest of Italy, but for the entire heritage of Europe," European Commissioner for Regional Policy Johannes Hahn said.

"Pompeii must remain standing," Monti said in announcing the plans for revamping and preserving the ancient archaeological site.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Stonehenge was once a full circle, scientists say
2
Asian camel crickets now common U.S. house guests
3
Gibraltar cave art suggests Neanderthals more sophisticated than thought
4
Latvia boasts world's first net for migrating bats
5
Lake Michigan could get another marine sanctuary
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback