Lab tests of 10 items' containers found that all of the advertised "microwave safe" containers allegedly released toxic doses of the chemical known as BPA, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Saturday.
The newspaper said according to the tests it commissioned, the detected levels of the chemical were allegedly identical to levels previously blamed by scientists for causing neurological and developmental damage in lab animals.
Among the numerous household goods that typically use BPA to create plastic containers are storage containers and baby bottles.
John Faulkner, Campbell Soup Co. Tests director of brand communications, told the newspaper the BPA levels allegedly found by the tests were too low for public concern.
"These levels are extremely low," Faulkner said, referring specifically to his company's Just Heat & Enjoy tomato soup product. "In fact, you might just be able to find similar levels in plain old tap water due to 'background' levels."
The test findings have also been disputed by the American Chemistry Council, the Journal Sentinel reported.
Wisconsin business offering 'therapeutic cuddling' forced to close
Trader Joe's: Car crashes into Long Island store, injuring 11