A toddler from Longmont, Colo., has tested positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, just days after the drug became legal in the state.
The mother of 2-year-old Evelyn, Aida Hernandez, thinks that her daughter may have eaten part of a pot cookie she stumbled across in the grass outside of their apartment.
“It was brown, like a chocolate chip cookie,” Hernandez said.
About a half an hour after she confiscated the cookie, Hernandez noticed that something was wrong with Evelyn. “She was asleep, she was opening and closing her eyes and she couldn’t walk really well. She was weak,” Hernandez said.
Doctors at the hospital tested the youngster for THC and it came back positive.
“They do a blood test and that’s when they told me. That was a surprise,” Hernandez said. “It’s everywhere now that it’s legal they have it everywhere.”
A police search of Hernandez’ home came back clean for marijuana and officers say they believe the mother’s claim that she doesn’t use the now-legal drug.
“All of the parents watch out for their children. I don’t want other children getting what she got,” said Amira, Hernandez’ oldest daughter.
A search for the missing cookie came up empty.
[CBS Local Denver]