The issue was brought to their attention when a parent informed them that their child had developed an infection.
"It was not done in a hygienic manner. It was done with sharing needles -- multiple students using the same needle, and that's a health concern and a student safety concern for us," Clark County School District Communications Manager Michael Rodriquez told KVVU.
According to the school district, seven or eight male and female students pierced each other both on and off school grounds.
"We found the piercings ran the gamut, really. Some of them were ear piercings, some of them were naval piercings, and there were piercings on other parts of the body as well, including nipple piercings," Rodriquez said.
Piercings that are done in a non-hygienic way can spread infections including hepatitis B and C as well as HIV.
"A lot of people don't really put a lot of thought into how much bacteria can actually get into the piercing if it's not done properly," said Alfredo Padilla with Chrome Gypsy Tattoo. "Plenty of things can happen. Just a simple infection can turn into something huge. You never know what is out there, so the best thing to do is stay as safe as possible, get everything done professionally, and make sure to do your research.”
The students who are involved could face suspensions or even expulsion.
UPI Almanac for Friday, Oct. 31, 2014
Dog helps police track down its owner