Mirrored headboard blamed for carport-roasting fire in California

By Ben Hooper Contact the Author   |   March 22, 2016 at 10:42 AM

FRESNO, Calif., March 22 (UPI) -- Firefighters in California said a mirrored headboard left in a home's back yard was to blame for sparking a fire that destroyed the house's carport.

A photo posted to Twitter by the Fresno Fire Department's public information officer shows just the skeleton of the burnt-out carport remaining with a damaged vehicle inside.

Department spokesman Hector Vasquez said the fire started when sunlight bounced off a mirrored headboard that had been placed in the back yard of the home while the family performed some spring cleaning.

"A mirror is pretty much like a big magnifying glass," Vasquez told the Los Angeles Times.

Vasquez said investigators determined the headboard explanation "was the only thing that makes any logical sense."

He said firefighters started suspecting the headboard was the culprit when they noticed radiant heat from the object.

There were no injuries from the fire and damage was estimated at about $15,000.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more news from UPI.com
Related UPI Stories
share with facebook
share with twitter
Trending Stories