10 Chicago children hospitalized after being served booze-spiked punch at pizza party

The children were served the adult beverage during a birthday party at the Home Run Inn restaurant in Little Village.
By Evan Bleier   |   April 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM   |   Comments

CHICAGO, April 9 (UPI) -- 10 Chicago children were taken to the hospital after a server mistakenly gave them fruit punch that was spiked with alcohol during a birthday party at a pizza restaurant.

The children, all of whom were under the age of 10, were given the spiked beverage around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Home Run Inn restaurant in Little Village.

When the staff realized the mistake, the drinks were taken away from the kids and the police and paramedics were called.

“The drinks tasted funny to begin with, but we didn’t pay it any attention. We thought it was just us,” parent Neyante Eggleston told CBS Chicago. “They just came and swooped all the cups up, so we like ‘Okay, what’s going on?’ So as they’re swooping cups up, one of the parents of the kids got a whiff of the cup, and it was alcohol.”

Some of the children began crying and vomiting after ingesting the adult beverage.

“Everybody makes mistakes, but why would you just come and snatch the cups up, and not say anything to the parents of these kids that you just served alcohol?” Eggleston said. “Those who did drink, they drunk everything.”

The children who were brought to the hospital were reportedly in good condition.

[CBS Chicago]
[NBC Chicago]

Follow @itishowitis and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
Miss Colombia hopeful disqualified for showing underboob
See the 4-inch dog that may be England's smallest
Video shows aquarium beluga either playing with children or begging for help
Watch outraged parent rip Calif. school district for 'forcing' special needs students to recycle
Watch as dying koala is revived with mouth-to-mouth CPR
Trending News