CANIABA, Australia, March 16 (UPI) -- A large carpet python swallowed a dog in the backyard of a home in Caniaba in the southeastern Australia, wildlife officials said.
The unidentified owner of the pet dog, a Chihuahua-Maltese mix, said she approached the backyard doghouse to release her dog from its chain, and found a 2.5-meter (8.2 foot) snake with a large bulge in its body and the dog's chain emerging from the serpent's mouth.
"She realized that she made a dreadful mistake. She hadn't thought about the possibility of a snake taking the dog," Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service volunteer Sue Ulyatt said.
The python was taken to a local wildlife sanctuary, where it would be examined to see if surgery will be required to remove the chain, the Illawarra Mercury reported Sunday.
Ulyatt said the incident occurred on rural property in New South Wales where large pythons are common, and the meal will sustain the snake for a month.