facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Seattle area vets see rise in canine marijuana ingestion

March 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
SEATTLE, March 14 (UPI) -- Seattle area veterinarians said the legalization of recreational marijuana has led to a rise in THC toxicity cases for dogs.

Veterinarians said tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the main active ingredient in marijuana, can prove toxic to dogs and the legalization of marijuana, which took effect in Washington state at the start of January, has led to a rise in reported cases of canine ingestion, USA Today reported Friday.

"A busy week, I've seen 10 to 12 cases," said Dr. Nathanial Stewart of VCA Pacific Avenue Animal Hospital in Tacoma. "I saw a beagle once that ate an entire Ziploc baggie full of marijuana buds."

"It can trigger seizures, coma, or even death," Stewart said of canines ingesting the plant.

Vets said THC toxicity can be treated in dogs if the symptoms are identified early.

"[You could] also smell from her breath that it smelled like marijuana," said Dr. Ruby Donnaway of the Affordable Animal Emergency Clinic in Seattle. "There are weeks where we're pretty much seeing it every single night."

Topics: Marijuana
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Police: 'Burglar' was cheating wife's secret lover Police: 'Burglar' was cheating wife's secret lover
2
Porn star appears on cover of Thai math textbook Porn star appears on cover of Thai math textbook
3
Cycling team's uniforms appear crotchless Cycling team's uniforms appear crotchless
4
Satanists want to distribute materials in Florida schools Satanists want to distribute materials in Florida schools
5
Surge soda revived by Coca-Cola Surge soda revived by Coca-Cola
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback