facebook
twitter
search
search

Vets cure poisoned dog with vodka

The "hair of the dog" pulls another one through a tough time.
By Aileen Graef Follow @AileenGraef Contact the Author   |   Updated March 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM

MELBOURNE, March 10 (UPI) -- A Maltese terrier named Charlie was saved by the miracle cure of vodka after he licked anti-freeze in his owner's garage.

After licking the coolant, veterinarians at Animal Accident & Emergency pet hospital in Melbourne, Australia, said Charlie would surely die if the condition, ethylene glycol poisoning, was left untreated. They decided to give him an entire bottle of vodka, because the ethanol can keep the coolant from breaking down into a toxin that would cause kidney failure.

Charlie took the vodka through a tube in his nose over 2 days and according to the pet hospital, "had a huge party" in the pet ICU.

"He was definitely drunk. He was stumbling around, I'd go pat him down and he'd push me away like a normal drunk person, he was vomiting a little, whining like a drunk." said Charlie's owner Jacinta Rosewarne.

Charlie will now survive, despite feeling a little worse for wear.


[HuffPost Live]

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Seal tries to steal shark from fishing line in California
Japanese firm accepts mecha robot battle challenge from United States
Man kicked by camel while attempting selfie with nursing calf
Florida man captures lightning strike on Gainesville Wendy's
A new, thinner Oreo cookie is set to hit shelves