facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Vets cure poisoned dog with vodka

The "hair of the dog" pulls another one through a tough time.
By Aileen Graef   |   March 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM  |  Updated March 10, 2014 at 12:35 PM   |   Comments

MELBOURNE, March 10 (UPI) -- A Maltese terrier named Charlie was saved by the miracle cure of vodka after he licked anti-freeze in his owner's garage.

After licking the coolant, veterinarians at Animal Accident & Emergency pet hospital in Melbourne, Australia, said Charlie would surely die if the condition, ethylene glycol poisoning, was left untreated. They decided to give him an entire bottle of vodka, because the ethanol can keep the coolant from breaking down into a toxin that would cause kidney failure.

Charlie took the vodka through a tube in his nose over 2 days and according to the pet hospital, "had a huge party" in the pet ICU.

"He was definitely drunk. He was stumbling around, I'd go pat him down and he'd push me away like a normal drunk person, he was vomiting a little, whining like a drunk." said Charlie's owner Jacinta Rosewarne.

Charlie will now survive, despite feeling a little worse for wear.


[HuffPost Live]

Follow @AileenGraef and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Florida pageant mom fed daughter tapeworms to make her lose weight
2
Over $10,000 in marijuana seized from Virginia man named Stoner
3
Nearly 400 Starbucks customers in a row pay for next car's drink at Florida drive-through
4
South Carolina woman allegedly beats 64-year-old man for farting in her face
5
U.S. Olympic wrestler cited for taking out deer with bow and arrow at Colorado car dealership
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback